Mystery Reader?

Have you ever been here: Beth Newingham's 3rd Grade Site?

Who hasn't really?

I j'adore her.

I should warn you that once you go, you never quite stop feeling like you can do more.

It's not a bad feeling, but just a heads up.

Beth is INCREDIBLE.

I'd say 99% of the things I tried from her site worked like WHOA.

Probably my favorite is Mystery Reader.
You can read about it here: Mystery Reader Info

And, connect to some of her editable printables.

I think it created critical thinkers who at 2nd and 3rd grade asked INCREDIBLE questions.

I remember one of the clues was from a mother in our class and that she'd traveled to every continent.  Her son "knew" her, but never guessed it was her.  She came on Friday and read during lunch, at the end of the lunch they have a few minutes for Q and A while we take a class photo.  Her son climbed into her lap and looked at her like he'd never really SEEN her before.  She smiled at him.  As an observer, I watched mystery reader connect adult readers with students learning to reader.  As THEIR teacher, I watched it perform magic.

I had a small part of a bulletin board I used to post clues.
We read one new clue at Morning Meeting and talked about who it could be.
Each child kept a Mystery Reader journal and was required to write the new clue as a part of morning work.

Here are some of the pieces of their bulletin board.

Mystery Reader 2010 Mystery Reader 2010 Clues As a side note, one of my 2nd grade mothers died in January, very suddenly and without much warning. She had already been mystery reader and her son had the opportunity to view her through a different lens. It wasn't lost on ANY of us, that power Mystery Reader can carry.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a little L.O.V.E