The Search for Wondla and Birthdays

Today my nephew, Nicholas, turned 9!

He's rocking out in 3rd grade in Virginia.

His older sister, Natalie (yes, making them Nick and Nat), had her birthday in August.
Ironman and Devil/Angel
She's in 6th grade and 12 is such a weird age.
I wasn't sure what to send.
I sent her a thumb drive engraved with her name, and a metal water bottle engraved with her name and peace signs.

Nicky, he's different.  I'm behind and his gift will be lucky to make it there for Halloween...still love you kiddo.

However, he's just getting books, well not just.

Remember never ending story?  "ATREYU!"  VALCORE!
"Bastian, SAY MY NAME!"

Sorry, a little off track, but I LOVED that book and movie when I was younger.
Anyhoozle.
I really pride myself on my read aloud skills.
For my students they know my favorite author is ROALD DAHL, when I was little I wanted to BE him, except not racist and more available to children.

Fantastic Mr. Fox and Matilda were my LIFE.
But the BFG, the BFG is why I can do accents.

So, I'm sending him The BFG and Ralph S. Mouse, because Beverly Cleary...seriously?
BUT to make it special, I recorded my version of the BFG in MP3 and am sending him that to read along too.

Ello!  Me British and Irish accents is full bloom. <---apparently so is my pirate accent.

Whatevs.

As for the title of this post, I'll spare you gushing about Tony DiTerlizzi.
Suffice it to say, ridiculous.
Ridiculously awesome.
Between the Spiderwick Chronicles, Spider and the Fly, Kenny and the Dragon, and my personal favorite: JIMMY ZANGWOW'S OUT OF THIS WORLD MOON PIE ADVENTURE...he's amazing.

We live in the same small town in Western, MA, and every time I leave my abode, I pray I never run into him.

{I had one brush with literary note, and I BLEW IT, BIG TIME.
J.M Coetzee is my South African novelist love.
Between him and Nadine Gordimer, the world is a better place.
He arrived at UMASS Amherst to give a reading from Elizabeth Costello, and I attended!
Did I mention it was less then a week after he won the NOBEL PRIZE for LITERATURE!
OYE!
So.
After, I wanted to say hi and THANK YOU and have him sign my book.
Script: "I haven't read all of your books yet, but every single one I've read, I've read multiple times and I get something new from every time, you're amazing, and such an asset to the literary world."  Yay.
Real Life: "Most of what I've read, I liked."
What?!
The last thing I remember before running back to my dorm was my friend, Emera, grabbing me by the arm and yanking me away from my own embarrasment.}

{That story also reminds me, I managed to make a fool of myself in front of HOLLIE HOBBIE of TOOT AND PUDDLE fame...I'm such a goof}

Hopefully, I never see Tony in real life.
Safer for my own humility to admire from afar :).
He wrote the SEARCH FOR WONDLA!
I'm 28 and I.  LOVE.  THIS.  STORY!

I'm getting Natalie her own copy for Christmas because I think the character of Eva 9 will be interesting to a 6th and 1/2 grader :).

Imagination is a crazy thing.

Kids need more of it.
Tony has capsulated it.
Read it.
Tell me you love it 1/2 as much as I do.
Tell me you want an Otto :).

And that Rovender Kitt is your hero.

For that matter, you can tell me you like the Bone Cruncher and the Fleshlumpeater, too. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a little L.O.V.E