J. Edgar

Mr. B and I were all gun ho to see this film.
We attended a BBQ/Bonfire and bros won out before gals.
Our crew can throw a mean bonfire, specifically on a cool New England night with what is left of our tree to burn.
Meh.
I wasn't that offended, Mr. B. :)

I called my pinch hitter, my biological sister Jay, who we don't speak about very much on ye' old blog.
Not yet, at least.

Anyhoozle. 
She was game and away we went.
Do you know J. Edgar?
I didn't really know anything about his story until I read this about the film: 
"When considering that, it’s ironic that Hoover abused his powers to keep in check speculation about his sexuality.  Much is made of his close relationship with associate FBI director Clyde Tolson (played in the film Armie Hammer, who portrayed the Winkelvii from The Social Network, with tremendous skill), though little is actually known about it."
Intriguing.
I cried when he and Tolson got in a heated fight over their true feelings, leading to a poignant, albeit refuted shared kiss.  I shed a tear as Tolson walked away and said, "Don't ever talk about marrying a woman in front of  me again," and J. Edgar wails to not leave him alone, mouthing, "I love you." under his breath.
But perhaps the part that chilled me most was the fabulous Dame Judy Dench as his old valued mother who shows love through her firmness.
In the particular scene where I lost it - J.Edgar is having trouble with his stutter as he stands in the mirror to practice his speed talking, he is trying to tell his mother that he doesn't like to dance, specifically, he doesn't like to dance with girls.
She has him recall a school boy, called Daffy.  Short for Daffodil.  Who was given his nickname due to unfortunate circumstances where he was caught wearing his mother's hoop and bonnet.  He was shamed and a few weeks later committed suicide.
Dame Judy {Mother Hoover} replies, "Edgar, I'd rather have a dead son, than a daffodil."
And then she teaches him to dance.
I was profoundly moved by the character piece of living a life that is never truly lived while keeping the appearance of someone who has it together, maybe not all together, as he never married and employed some questionable work related values...at any cost really being one that stands out.
Having a mother as far in the closet as you can possibly be, I watched as J. Edgar took the seat next to her in the closet and then quietly shut the door.
The scene of the unrequited lovers at J.Edgar's death was enough to require three tissues.
Brilliant film.
Love.

Also - shout out the Naomi Watts, as J. Edgar's personal secretary, who endures a silly first date and years of a budding friendship only to have J.Edgar's back when he needed most.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a little L.O.V.E