ADT Life Alert

This is day two of the not a good day/happy day project.
Thank god for the Happy Day project as this week has been really down otherwise.

My morning started with a phone call from ADT Life Alert system.  I was just getting up when the phone rang, and less than 100 feet away on the floor in her kitchen, my grandma had fallen.  My amazingly awesome 89 year old Nana Ruth.

I stayed as calm as humanly possible and ran/flew downstairs, across the back deck and into her kitchen.

Where - please note this is graphic - I found her in a pool of blood.

I was physically shaking, but I kept as outwardly calm as possible.

She was telling me that she was fine, but I could tell it was worse than she knew.
She's not a heavy woman by any means, she's a tall one though.
I just can't lift her on my own because she can't support herself at all.
I knew ADT had sent an ambulance and I sat down with her and brought some tissues and stroked her forehead the way she always did mine.
I told her she'd be okay.
I told her she wasn't allowed to vacuum, and that she KNOWS that.
I told her not to worry about us.

It was cute watching her stay strong for me, I could tell she just wanted to cry, but she never did.
I'm used of emergencies and hospital runs from my job with the ballet.
Every summer I make at least 6-10 trips to the ER or the Dr's with everything from ingrown toenails to ruptured appendix.
I've learned to keep perspective for myself and others.
It's easy when you're at children's hospital in Boston.
I brought a girl once with a pin stuck in her toe.
After her surgery, she was waking up and there was a baby...A BABY who just had brain surgery.
I told her to look at him and know she was going to be okay.  Reality.

My Nana hit her face on the floor and poked herself with her glasses creating a huge gash on her eye brow.  She looked like she'd been in a bar fight.

I sat with her just a few seconds until the EMT's arrive and got her into the chair and then into the ambulance.

I put some clothes on and headed out to the ER.
They ice packed her there and sent her off to urgent care for stitches and a CT.

The CT revealed she broke two bones, one in her nose and one in her face.  The facial bone could cause permanent eye damage so we were sent to see a Facial Surgeon who said her swelling was too bad to make a definitive decision about the eye.  We go back Friday to have him see her again.  We go to urgent care on Monday to have her stitches out.

She's a trooper and I love her to the Moon and back.

My mother, on the other hand.  GRRR.
She's 64 and my mother and I will honor what Iyanla says about never calling your parents crazy because you have to honor that you chose them - even if your adopted.
Instead I'll say my mother is crazy a narcissistic, neurotic, mood swinging, angry, closeted lesbian.
Today, I almost called her a bewitched.
I don't know how many of my Nana's Dr's she told about her own knee surgery.  NO one cared.
I don't think she handles stress well at all.  Or ever.
Basically, she's useless, 97% of the time.

Psychologically speaking, it's why I read so many family blogs.
I live a little vicariously through them.
I envision how happy their families are and non-exsistant mine is.
I read them to remind myself that someday I'll have a family of my own.
After my mother is gone.
That's harsh, I know, but when the Accountant and I were dating and engaged, I never wanted kids because I didn't want to subject them to either of our parental units.

Wow, that's a little cathartic and really off track, I'll blog later tonight about day #3 and Wren.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a little L.O.V.E